ferrous sulfate is a salt with the formula FeSO4. It is used medically to treat iron deficiency, and also for industrial applications. Known since ancient times as copperas and as green vitriol, the blue-green heptahydrate is the most common form of this material. All iron sulfates dissolve in water to give the same aquo complex [Fe(H2O)6]2+, which has octahedral molecular geometry and is paramagnetic.
Ferrous sulphate is used to treat iron-deficiency.
It is an oral iron salt.
It is used to increase levels of iron and red-blood cells in the body.
In general this drug is used to treat or prevent iron-deficient anaemia(low levels of red blood cells due to lack of iron)
Benefits of being on this drug can include increases in iron and red-blood cells in the body.
Listed below are the typical uses of ferrous sulphate.
HOW TO USE/TAKE
How often do I take it?
- Ferrous Sulphate tablets should not be taken within one hour before or two hours after eating or drinking the following products: tea,coffee, milk, eggs and whole grains. These products can reduce the absorption of iron. Meat and products containing vitamin C can increase the absorption of iron. Follow the advice of your dietician or doctor when taking Ferrous Sulphate tablets with any of the food or drink listed.
- Take this medication orally either once daily for preventative treatment or 2-3 daily for treatment of iron-deficient anaemia, with water.
- Use this medication for as long as recommended by your doctor in order to get the most benefit from it.
- Remember to use it at the same time each day - unless specifically told otherwise by your doctor.
- Certain medical conditions may require different dosage instructions as directed by your doctor.
- Dosage is based on your age, gender, medical condition, response to therapy, and use of certain interacting medicines.
When can I stop?
- Always complete the full course as prescribed by your doctor.